For trouble free export and re-entry of pets between Britain, Spain and other European countries, you need a Pets Travel Scheme Certificate (PETS Passport), issued by DEFRA


Pet Travel Scheme Helpline
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Area 201
1a Page Street,
London SW1P 4PQ

Phone: +44 870 241 1710  or  +44 20 7904 6206
Open: Monday to Friday – 8.30am to 5pm UK time

Step 1

Have your pet microchipped - Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.

Step 2

Have your pet vaccinated - After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the first vaccination date. A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination.

Step 3

Get pet travel documentation - For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU pet passport. If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU listed country or territory you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate (apart from Croatia, Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland who also issue pet passports).

Step 4

Tapeworm treatment – (dogs only): before entering the UK, all pet dogs (including assistance dogs) must be treated for tapeworm. The treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK. There is no mandatory requirement for tick treatment. No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland or Malta).

Step 5

Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route - your pet must enter the UK from a listed country or territory travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

Please note that we are able to deal with quarantine paperwork and licenses on your behalf. If you would like us to manage this then please make a request on our contact form or over email.